As summer makes an appearance so does the BBQ season! It’s time to dust off those flips flops, slap on the sun screen and fill the social calendar with lazy days and a sausage or two… or maybe three!
But… If I am being totally honest once I am over the initial excitement of finding my forgotten flips flops for the first time in over a year, I admit, I do get a little ‘sausage’d’ out fairly quickly and then find myself drifting over to the (usually untouched) salad area which Dave considers to be only the garnish to on of his double decker burger creations!
So with this in mind, no BBQ of mine would be complete without including a side dish or two.
I absolutely love this tabbouleh recipe it’s one of my favourites and is super simple to prepare and just busting with fresh and delicious flavours.
- 100g cracked bulgur wheat,
- 4 medium tomatoes,
- 2 medium shallots,
- 1 bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley,
- 1/2 bunch fresh mint,
- 1 tsp ground allspice,
- 1/2 lemon
- 3 Tbsps. Olive oil,
- Salt & Pepper to taste.
- Place the bulgur wheat in a large bowl of cold water and soak for approximately 20 or until
- Mean while, deseed the tomatoes and dice in small pieces, finely slice the shallots and coarsely chop the mint and parsley mix everything together in a mixing bowl. Next add the allspice and the juice of the lemon, olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- When the Bulgur wheat has softened, strain through a colander lined with a
- clean tea towel and squeeze out all the excess water you can.
- Add the bulgur wheat to the salad, mix well and serve either on its own or as a side dish.
- Can be made in advance or even the night before - keep in the fridge